Who can make a request under the Freedom of Information Act 1982?

Any person can make a request under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (an FOI request).

What type of information can you request?

You can make an FOI request for:

  • access to documents the OPP holds about your personal affairs and the OPP’s activities; or
  • the amendment or removal of incorrect or misleading information about you held by the OPP.

How much does an FOI request cost?

An FOI request costs $28.40. You can claim a waiver of this fee if it would cause you financial hardship. Evidence of financial hardship must be included with your FOI request if you wish to seek a waiver. You will also have to pay any costs associated with providing the information, such as photocopying costs.

How to make an FOI request

An FOI request must be in writing and may be made online here.

Alternatively, you can make an FOI by post to:

The FOI Officer
Office of Public Prosecutions
565 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
The FOI request must:

  • clearly describe the documents you are requesting access to; and
  • include payment of $28.40 or evidence that you qualify to have the fee waived.

Exempt documents

The OPP can refuse access to certain documents (exempt documents).  Click here for a list of exempt documents.

What happens after we receive your FOI request?

Once we receive your request, we will conduct an initial assessment.  If the request is valid, we will process it.  We will contact you if we require further information or clarification.

How quickly will your request be processed?

We have 30 days after the day we receive your request to process your FOI request.  This time limit only commences if your request is valid.

Possible outcomes of an FOI request

When we make a decision about your request, we will send you a letter informing you of our decision.  We may decide to:

  • release the documents you requested in their entirety; or
  • release part of the documents you requested; or
  • release none of the documents you have requested; or
  • transfer your FOI request to the appropriate agency.

What can you do if you are not satisfied with our decision?

If you are not satisfied with our decision, you can seek a review by or lodge a complaint with the Freedom of Information Commissioner or appeal to VCAT.

Other ways of accessing our information

Instead of making an FOI Request, you may be able to make a File Request.