The OPP and the DPP strive to maintain an excellent prosecution service and are committed to continual improvement. Any dissatisfaction with the prosecution service by way of a complaint about the OPP or the DPP will be dealt with consistently, expeditiously and fairly.

Who can complain?

Victims, defendants, witnesses and other members of the community who have concerns or feel aggrieved about a particular matter handled by the OPP may make a complaint.

A complaint may relate to a particular matter such as a decision not to proceed with a prosecution, a discharge of a prosecution at committal, a sentence handed down or a decision not to appeal against sentence.

A complaint may also relate to the conduct of OPP staff, the DPP or members of the Victorian Bar briefed on behalf of the SPP.

How to lodge a complaint

To lodge a complaint, you can:


Write to:
Manager, Policy and Legal Services,
Office of Public Prosecutions
565 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000


Manager, Policy and Legal Services,
PO Box 13085, Melbourne VIC 8010

You can use the Complaint Form contained in the Complaints Policy to provide details of your complaint.


If a complaint is made under the Protected Disclosures Act 2012 in respect to the OPP and its employees and/or officers, the SPP, a Crown Prosecutor, the Chief Crown Prosecutor and/ or the DPP about improper conduct or detrimental action, you must make the disclosure to the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC).

 For further information, please refer to the Protected Disclosure Guidelines.

Requests for Information

For details about requesting information from the DPP and OPP - including requesting reasons for decisions made by the DPP - go to  Request Information.