Information for media
On 27 February 2023, the County Court of Victoria imposed sentence on Jeffrey Corfe for an offence of sexual penetration of a child under 16
The Director has carefully considered the sentence imposed on Steven Cleary. In light of all of the relevant sentencing considerations, there is no reasonable prospect
Information the OPP will provide to media
OPP staff, Crown Prosecutors, and counsel briefed by the OPP will, on request:
- confirm facts that have been presented in open court
- provide information as set out below.
While a case is before the court
- Charge sheets
After the appeal period
- Charge sheets
- Crime scene footage
The information in the table above will not be provided if it may:
- prejudice any current or future court case
- interfere with an ongoing investigation
- put the safety of any person at risk
- disclose police methodology
- breach any statutory provision or court order
- interfere with the privacy rights of a third party
- embarrass or cause distress to a victim or a family member of a victim
or if the information:
- is offensive or distressing
- would require unreasonable editing prior to release
- the DPP considers that it is not in the public interest to provide the information.
Media representatives should contact the relevant court or the Victorian Government Recording Service (VGRS) to request transcripts.
Media representatives may also apply to the relevant court for access to information that has been tendered into evidence or is otherwise on the court file.
Office of Public Prosecutions
565 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000